The WCM-Serial Ethernet Converter is a low cost Ethernet to Serial (X.21, V.35 or EIA-530) service delivery unit, offering end to end management using 802.3ah OAM, and customer site conversion from twisted pair 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet and 100Base/1000Base-X fibre to Serial (X.21, V.35 or EIA-530) leased line services.
- SFP Fibre Transceivers
- MetroWAVE Fibre & Copper Transceivers
- Manual v8.51
- Manual V8.50
- Manual v8.38
- Manual v8.20
1Gb Ethernet Converter to Serial: X.21, V.35. EIA-530
- LAN extension over Serial WAN services at up to 20Mbps
- Dual RJ45 plus single SFP flexible media port, offering local Switched Ethernet connections up to 1Gbps
- Link Loss Forwarding
- Jumbo Frame Support (10kbyte)
- 802.3ah OAM Support, with IP proxy over OAM mode
- 802.1q VLAN support (pass-through and tag switching)
- 802.1p priority queuing (4 queues)
- SSH & TACACS+ for secure authentication
- RSTP support
- LED status indicators
- Alarm Extension Relay
- Robust metal casing, made in the UK to high quality standards
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -48V DC versions)
- 12V & 24V DC PSU variants also available on request
- Easy to install & maintain
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
MC12000 supporting Multiple Carrier Ethernet Demarcation / LAN Extension Devices
This application shows an MC12000 MetroCONNECT chassis with WCC_Serial modules, supporting multiple WCM-Serial strong Ethernet to Serial (X.21, V.35 or EIA-530) LAN Extension Demarcation Devices. The MetroCONNECT and WCM-Serial together offer LAN Extension and Ethernet demarcation, with remote management via 802.3ah OAM. Various service delivery options are available including fibre, copper, and fibre plus copper to a Serial (X.21, V.35 or EIA-530) circuit. Comprehensive remote network management access is available via the MetroCONNECT including end to end remote management using 802.3ah OAM. 10M, 100M and Gigabit Ethernet applications can all be supported, as can Mini Jumbo frames.
WCM-Serial delivering Ethernet services from an MPLS core network
This application shows an WCM-Serial unit being used as the Ethernet demarcation device to deliver a Carrier Ethernet service from an strong MPLS core network. A wide choice of Ethernet connectivity is available for the user via the 10/100/1000baseT and SFP fibre ports. OAM support means that the WCM-Serial can be remotely managed by the central network management system using standards based OAM packets.
WCM-Serial units performing Ethernet service demarcation and media conversion
This application shows how a pair of WCM-Serial units can be used to offer Ethernet service demarcation and LAN Extension functionality over a Serial circuit.
The WCM-Serial is a member of the MetroCONNECT family, offering Managed local Ethernet Switching at up to 1Gbps and LAN extension over serial services. Support is offered for fractional (including Nx 64Kbps) X.21,V.35 and EIA-530 services up to 20Mbps.The WCM-Serial supports auto negotiation and auto MDI/MDI-X cross-over switching on two RJ45 LAN interfaces.A further LAN interface is provided via an SFP port, offering either an additional RJ45 connection or a variety of multi-mode and single-mode fibre interface options.
Link Loss Forwarding is supported, whereby faults on the uplink port will automatically force a link down on the user ports to indicate to the attached devices that there is a link problem.The transmission of Jumbo frames is supported, with internal packet buffering used to smooth out bursty traffic without packet loss.
Management is offered via each of; Serial Terminal connection, Telnet, SNMP or Web Browser application. Management security is offered via SSH and TACACS+ authentication. Support is also offered for ‘Carrier Ethernet’ Link OAM Management (IEEE802.3ah), enabling status information to be shared with connected equipment if required.
In line with all other members of the MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery family, the WCM-Serial supports Metrodata’s zero-touch’ installation process, minimising both on-site installation time and the Engineering skills required. Our unique ‘IP proxy over OAM’ functionality reduces on-site installation to a ‘plug and play’ exercise, simply checking that Ethernet link-up LEDs indicate correct physical connectivity. Comprehensive Telnet and/or SNMP remote management is available to the device via an IP proxy process across Layer-2 OAM traffic from an MC12000 Service Delivery chassis or another MetroCONNECT family device at the network centre, with no need for layer-3 (IP) parameters to be assigned locally. If required, individual configuration can be subsequently downloaded via TFTP.
The WCM-Serial supports VLAN in two ways. In normal mode,VLAN tagged frames are passed unmodified; however when VLAN support is enabled, the WCM-Serial supports VLAN tag-based switching whereby access may be controlled using VLAN IDs.The unit is password protected for Telnet access for security, and for SNMP is configured with a primary and multiple back-up NMS stations. SNMP access will only be accepted from an authorised NMS.
Compatibility: GFP mode for use with LAN Extension Aggregation equipment
The WCM-Serial is available in a choice of 100-250 VAC or -48 VDC integrated power supplies.
The WCM-Serial is part of a wide range of LAN extension products from Metrodata.
WAN Port Specs
|Interface||Cisco compatible Serial|
|Presentation||60 way Female D Type|
|Line Rate||15Mbps (max)|
|Cabling examples|| Use CABX21-MT for connection to X.21 NTU |
Use CABV35-MT for connection to V.35 NTU
1000Base-X Fibre Interface
|Interface||Dual LC connectors|
SFP 1000Base SX
|TX Power||-9.5 to -3dBm|
|Max Rx input power||0dBm|
|Rx sensitivity||-17 to 0dBm|
|Optical loss budget||7.5dB (550m)|
SFP 1000Base LX
|TX Power||-9.5 to -3dBm|
|Max Rx input power||-3dBm|
|Rx sensitivity||-19 to -3dBm|
|Optical loss budget||9.5dB (10km)|
10/100/1000BaseT Electrical Interface
|Port||10/100/1000BaseT with auto-negotiation and Jumbo frame support|
|Interface||RJ45 (Auto Crossover MDI/MDIX)|
|Operating mode||Auto Negotiate, 10M, 100M, 1000M, Full Duplex, Half Duplex|
|LEDs||Link, Activity, Speed|
Compliance & Approvals
|IEC60825-1 Class 1 Laser Eye Safety|
|Temperature||0 - 50 deg C|
|0 - 95% RH, non condensing|
|Storage Temp||-40 to 100 deg C|
|Pressure||86 - 106 kPa|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72V DC, 125 - 65 mA|
|AC Mains||100 - 250V AC, 50 - 60Hz, 60 - 25mA|
|Power Consumption||6 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|2 unit rack mount kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 unit rack mount kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
If you require further information please contact our sales team with your requirements.
|Commonly used SFP transceivers||Order Code||Description|
|1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet||80-31-001|| Copper Interface |
|1Gbps Multimode 550m 850nm||80-31-011|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 7.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-31-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 9.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-31-033|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 18dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-31-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 20dB
|100Mbps Multimode 2km 1300nm||80-30-021|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 8.5dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-30-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 13dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-30-033|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 20dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-30-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 29dB
Other SFPs are available on request including long haul, 1550nm, CWDM and bi-directional.
Whilst the MetroCONNECT product range uses industry standard user exchangeable SFPs, it is recommended that these are purchased from Metrodata to guarantee their specification and compatibility with each other.
If you require another SFP please Contact our Sales Team contact our sales team with your requirements.
MetroCONNECT Managed Carrier Ethernet Service Demarcation
- FCM9003 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Demarcation Device with L2/L3 Traffic Test & Monitoring
- FCM9005 Multi-port 1Gbps Advanced Ethernet Demarcation Device with L2/L3 Traffic Test & Monitoring
- FCM10G05 10Gbps Advanced Ethenet Demarcation Device with L2/L3 Traffic Test & Monitoring
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Chassis System
- MetroConnect Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery Platform
- FCC9000: Dual 10/100/1000baseT to 1000base-X Ethernet Media Converter Module
- WCC1400 MetroConnect Ethernet over 4-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC1800 MetroConnect Ethernet over 8-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC3200 MetroConnect Ethernet over 2-port Fractional E3/DS3 LAN Extension Module
- WCC5200 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over Dual STM-1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC-Serial MetroConnect Ethernet over Serial Module
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Standalone Units
- WC-Serial: WC-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- WC1000: WC1000 Unmanaged Fast Ethernet over E1 / T1
- WCM1100: Gigabit Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1101: 10/100Mb Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1400: WCM1400 Ethernet Extender over 4x bonded E1 or T1
- WCM1800: WCM1800 Ethernet Converter over 8x E1 or T1
- WCM1820: WCM1820 Ethernet Converter to 16x E1 or T1
- WCM3100: WCM3100 Ethernet Converter to E3 or DS3
- WCM3200: WCM3200 Ethernet Extender over 2x E3 or DS3
- WCM3400: Ethernet Aggregator for 4x E3 or DS3
- WCM5100: WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM1 or OC3
- WCM-Serial: WCM-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- LHM1000: LHM1000 Ethernet Converter to HSSI Serial
Ethernet Media Converters
- FC7X00: Fast Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100baseT to 100baseF, over multimode or singlemode cable, with both short-haul or long-haul applications being supported.
- FCM5000: Managed 1Gb Ethernet Media Converter (copper to fibre conversion) and Entry Level Ethernet Demarcation Device
- FC5000: Gigabit Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseSX or 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseLX
- FC2X00: Fast Ethernet fibre mode media converter, i.e. 100baseF multimode to 100baseF singlemode, with both short-haul or long-haul singlemode applications being supported.
- FC-GigE: Gigabit Ethernet fibre mode conversion, i.e. 1000baseSX to 1000baseLX.
Networking The World Since 1989