The Metrodata FIMO-2100 is a standalone fibre optic extension unit for carrying synchronous serial data over resilient fibre. The FIMO-2100 supports data rates up to 8.192Mbps and is fully configurable in Nx64kbps steps. It also supports transparent oversampled operating modes.This is an alternative product for the Probot 3006 X.21 and RS530 Serial Fibre Modem.
FIMO-2100: Serial over Resilient Fibre Optic Modem
FIMO-2100 as a serial over multimode fibre converter
- Resilient fibre uplink using SFPs
- Multi-standard serial interface up to 8.192Mbps
- Asynchronous or synchronous RS-232 up to 256kbps
- RS-232, EIA-530, V.35, X.21, V.36, FM0 interface support
- DTE or DCE interface via 25-way D-type connector
- Data rate configurable in Nx64kbps steps
- Must be used in pairs
- Payload and protocol transparent
- Minimal configuration of unit needed
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- External alarm relay port
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Quad option available with 4 units in a 1U box
- Alternate product for Probot 3006 and Probot 3008
- Connecting RS232 devices together over Resilient Fibre (DCE to DCE)
- Connecting FM0 devices together over Resilient Fibre
- Connecting EIA530 routers together over Resilient Fibre (DCE to DCE)
- Extending an EIA530 router to modem connection over Resilient fibre (DCE to DTE)
- Connecting V35 modems together over Resilient Fibre (DTE to DTE)
The application shows how RS232 devices can be connected together over multimode fibre using FIMO-2100 units. DCE-DCE, DCE-DTE and DTE-DTE modes are supported for both async and sync RS232 devices. The maximum operating speed is 38.4kbps when the FIMO-2100 units are generating clocks, otherwise a maximum operating speed of 256kbps is supported in pass through mode. This multimode fibre could be within a building, or across a campus (e.g. between two departmental buildings of a University).
The application shows how FM0 devices can be connected together over multimode fibre using FIMO-2100 units. Oversampling is used to transparently transport serial data. This multimode fibre could be within a building, or across a campus (e.g. between two departmental buildings of a University).
The application shows how EIA530 routers can be connected together over multimode fibre using FIMO-2100 units. The data rate is configured as Nx64kbps up to a maximum operating speed of 8.192Mbps. This multimode fibre could be within a building (e.g. between two PBXs at either end of a large hotel), or across a campus (e.g. between two departmental buildings of a University).
This application shows how a pair of FIMO-2100 units can be used to extend an EIA530 DCE-DTE connection over singlemode fibre, e.g. from a modem or NTU to a router. The FIMO-2100 operates in a data agile mode which means that it automatically tracks the data rate of the modem up to the maximum operating speed of 8.192Mbps. This singlemode fibre could be between buildings (e.g. across a business park), or across a city (e.g. over a rented fibre).
This application shows how a pair of FIMO-2100 units can be used to extend a V.35 DTE-DTE connection over long haul singlemode fibre up to the maximum operating speed of 8.192Mbps, e.g. from a modem or NTU to another modem or NTU. This singlemode fibre could be across a city, or between cities (e.g. over a rented fibre).
The FIMO-2100 units are used in pairs across the resilient fibre link.
The FIMO-2100 serial interface is presented with both DCE and DTE ports, which each support multiple standards including RS-232 and EIA-530 directly, and V.35, X.21, V.36 and FM0 through the use of external adaptor cables. The user application determines whether the DCE or DTE port should be used on each unit, and this also affects the polarity of any cabling. Full details about application configurations and cabling options are available in the user manual.
The FIMO-2100 presents a DTE or DCE interface with the active interface type selected via a bit-switch. A cross-over function supports DCE to DTE, DCE to DCE or DTE to DTE formats.
The FIMO-2100 supports clock generation from 300bps to 38.4kbps for low speed RS-232 applications, and Nx64kbps from 64kbps up to 8.192Mbps for high speed applications (EIA530, X.21, V.36 and V.35). The RS232 interface will also operate at up to 256kbps when in clock pass through mode.
The maximum operating distance of the FIMO-2100 is dependant on the SFP transceiver used, with 5km supported as standard using multimode fibre, or up to 30km or 70km supported as standard using singlemode fibre, although specific installations may only operate over lower distances due to the variations in losses of different types of fibre cable, the use of connecting fibre cables, or patch panels. When operating over 50% of the maximum distances it is advisable to calculate all fibre optic connector and cable losses and compare these with the fibre optic loss budget specified for this product.
The SFP fibre transceivers used with the FIMO-2100 have LC connectors at operate at a nominal wavelength of 1300nm. Other wavelengths are available on request, e.g. 850nm, 1550nm, 1550/1300 WDM and CWDM.
An array of LED indicators provide status and activity monitoring, and an alarm extension relay may be used to transmit Alarm conditions such as Fibre Optic Link Down.
The FIMO-2100 range can easily be rack mounted in either a 1U two unit rack mount kit or in a 6U eighteen unit rack mount kit .
The FIMO-2100 is part of a range of products from Metrodata, offering fibre conversion solutions ranging from 300 baud RS-232, via Nx64kbps rates, through 2Mbps and up to 155Mbps for electrical to fibre conversion; or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fibre mode or wavelength conversion.
|Port||Resilient SFP fibre port|
|Interface||Dependant on SFPs fitted|
|Multimode SFP 2km 1300nm||Fibre optic loss budget 8.5dB|
|Singlemode SFP 10km 1300nm||Fibre optic loss budget 13dB|
|Singlemode SFP 40km 1300nm||Fibre optic loss budget 20dB|
|Singlemode SFP 80km 1550nm||Fibre optic loss budget 29dB|
Serial Electrical Interface
|Presentation||25 way D-type, Male DTE or Female DCE|
|With Adapter cable||V.35, X.21, V.36, FM0|
|Signals||TXD, RXD, RTS, CTS, DCD, DSR, DTR, RI, LL, RL, TM|
|Maximum Date Rate||8.192Mbps in N x 64Kbps steps|
|Clocks||RxC, TxC, ETxC|
Compliance & Approvals
|Temperature||0 - 45 deg C|
|0 - 95% RH, non condensing|
|Pressure||86 - 106 KPA|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72 DC, 200 - 100 mA Buccaneer Connector|
|AC Mains||100 - 250v AC, 50 - 60Hz, 60 - 25mA IEC connector|
|Power Consumption||6 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|2 unit rack mount kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 unit rack mount kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
|155Mbps Multimode 2km 1300nm||80-30-021||Multimode interface fibre optic loss budget 8.5dB|
|155Mbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-30-031||Singlemode interface fibre optic loss budget 13dB|
|155Mbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-30-033||Singlemode interface fibre optic loss budget 20dB|
|155Mbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-30-042||Singlemode interface fibre optic loss budget 29dB|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
Whilst the Emux product range uses industry standard user exchangeable SFPs, it is recommended that these are purchased from Metrodata to guarantee their specification and compatibility with each other.
If you require another SFP please contact our sales team with your requirements.
- FIMO-232: RS232 to Fibre
- FIMO-2000: Multiserial to Fibre
- FIMO-2100: Serial over Resilient Fibre Optic Modem
- WCM-Serial:Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- E1/T1 G703 BNC/RJ45 equipment, e.g. routers or PBXs - FC1X00: E1/T1 to Fibre
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 155Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC2X00: SM SH/LH to MM Fibre
- E3/DS3 G.703 equipment, e.g. routers or broadcast video equipment - FC3X00: E3 to Fibre Extender
- STM-1/OC-3 BNC G703 equipment, e.g. core switches - FC4X00: STM-1/OC3 to Fibre
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 622Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC6X00: SM SH/LH to MM Fibre
- RS232, e.g. terminals - FIMO232: RS232 to Fibre
- V.35, V.36, X.21, e.g. routers or video conferencing equipment - FIMO2100: Serial to Fibre
- 1000BaseSX to 1000BaseLX Gigabit Ethernet Converter - FCGIGE: BaseSX to BaseLX
- Simple method of delivering 4, 8 or 16 E1 services over redundant fibre - Emux: Multiple E1 over Fibre Multiplexer
- Multiple Ethernet, E1 and T1 equipment - MetroLAN1000: E1/Ethernet to Fibre
- Multiple Ethernet, E1, T1, E3 and DS3 equipment - MetroLAN2000: E1/T1/E3/DS3/Ethernet to Fibre Multiplexer
Networking The World Since 1989