The WC3445 LAN extender offers a simple "plug and play" method to extend a LAN connection between multiple sites over E3 or DS3.
The integrated 4-port LAN switch supports local switching, thereby removing the need for external switches or hubs in smaller LAN installations.
LAN Extension over E3 and DS3 leased lines
The WC3445 product has now been superceded by the much more flexible and fully manageable MetroCONNECT WCM3100 product which offers advanced functionality at a cost-effective price point. The WC3445 is no longer available.
WAN-in-a-Can : the "plug and play" way to connect LANs together over the WAN
- Must be used in pairs
- Feature rich LAN extender over E3 or DS3 leased lines
- Quad port Ethernet switch on subscriber side, with wire speed local switching
- 4 Auto-negotiating subscriber 10/100 BaseT ports, with auto MDI/MDIX switching
- Wire speed filtering of local packets
- Efficient HDLC encapsulation on WAN port: 82236 packets per second on DS3
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Higher specification MetroCONNECT managed LAN extenders are also available
- WAN-in-a-CAN - overview of product family
- WC1000 - quad 10/100baseT switch with E1 uplink
- WC X.21 - quad 10/100baseT switch with X.21 uplink, superceded by WCM-Serial
- WC V.35 - quad 10/100baseT switch with V.35 uplink, superceded by WCM-Serial
This application shows two LANs connected together using an E3 leased line, such as a BT Megastream-34 circuit. As a plug and play Ethernet switching device the WC3445 is a straight forward and cost effective alternative to the use of routers in small and medium sized networks.
This application shows two LANs connected together using an unframed clear channel DS3 leased line, such as a BT Megastream-45 circuit. As a plug and play Ethernet switching device the WC3445 is a straight forward and cost effective alternative to the use of routers in small and medium sized networks.
N.B. Care must be taken when using the WC3445 with services which are terminated in North America as the WC3445 requires clear channel DS3 circuits for correct operation.
Full wire speed switching and filtering between the 10/100 BaseT LAN ports is supported so that only packets destined for the remote site are forwarded over the E3 or DS3 leased line.
In most installations the WC3445 requires no configuration, and is therefore truly "plug and play". The subscriber ports perform auto-negotiation and support both 10M and 100M operation in full duplex (FD) or half duplex (HD) modes. Manual selection of 100M FD operation enables connection to fixed router ports. Cabling issues are minimised through the use of automatic MDI/MDIX selection on these ports.
The highly efficient HDLC encapsulation of packets ensures that maximum throughput is achieved on the WAN link. Internal packet buffering enables each WC3445 to smooth out bursty traffic without packet loss.
In auto-negotiation mode the maximum packet size (MTU) is 1518 bytes for non-tagged frames and 1522 bytes for VLAN frames which is sufficient for passing single tagged 802.1q VLAN frames. In fixed 100M full duplex mode the MTU is 1536 bytes which is sufficient to transport double VLAN tagged frames (Q-in-Q).
The WC3445 can easily be rack mounted in either a 1U two unit rack mount kit, in a 6U eighteen unit rack mount kit or are available in a 1U quad box (1U rack mountable unit containing 4 x WC3445 units).
|No. of Ports||4|
|Presentation||10/100 Base TX, RJ45, Auto-MDI/MDI-X|
|LED Support||Link / Activity & Speed|
|Operating Mode||Auto-negotiate for 10/100, Full or Half Duplex|
|Port Filtering Rate||148810 packets/second|
|Port Switching Rate||148810 packets/second|
|Switch Mode||Any to any|
|MAC Address Table||4096 entries|
|Packet Size||64 bytes minimum|
|1522 bytes maximum (auto negotiation mode), 1536 bytes maximum (fixed 100M FD mode)|
WAN Port Specs
|Presentation||BNC (75ohm)||BNC (75ohm)|
|Max Packet Rate||64120||82236|
|LEDs||Tx/Rx Packet, Alarm||Tx/Rx Packet, Alarm|
|Diagnostics||External loop||External loop|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H mm
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Desktop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Temp||0 - 50 deg C|
|Humidity||95% RH, non-condensing|
|Pressure||86 - 106 KPA|
|AC Mains||100-250VAC, 50-60Hz, 60-24mA IEC Connector|
|-48VDC||-40 to -72VDC, 200-100mA|
|AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Standalone Units
- WC-Serial: WC-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- WC1000: WC1000 Unmanaged Fast Ethernet over E1 / T1
- WCM1100: Gigabit Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1101: 10/100Mb Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1400: WCM1400 Ethernet Extender over 4x bonded E1 or T1
- WCM1800: WCM1800 Ethernet Converter over 8x E1 or T1
- WCM1820: WCM1820 Ethernet Converter to 16x E1 or T1
- WCM3100: WCM3100 Ethernet Converter to E3 or DS3
- WCM3200: WCM3200 Ethernet Extender over 2x E3 or DS3
- WCM3400: Ethernet Aggregator for 4x E3 or DS3
- WCM5100: WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM1 or OC3
- WCM-Serial: WCM-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- LHM1000: LHM1000 Ethernet Converter to HSSI Serial
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Chassis System
- MetroConnect Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery Platform
- FCC9000: Dual 10/100/1000baseT to 1000base-X Ethernet Media Converter Module
- WCC1400 MetroConnect Ethernet over 4-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC1800 MetroConnect Ethernet over 8-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC3200 MetroConnect Ethernet over 2-port Fractional E3/DS3 LAN Extension Module
- WCC5200 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over Dual STM-1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC-Serial MetroConnect Ethernet over Serial Module
- WC X.21: Ethernet over X.21
- WC V.35: Ethernet over V.35
- WC1000: Fast Ethernet over E1 G.703
- WC-Serial: Fast Ethernet to Serial 'Plug & Play' Extender
- WCM1000: Ethernet over E1 G.703
- WC3445: Ethernet over E3
- WC3445: Ethernet over DS3
- WC155: Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3
- LH1000: Ethernet over HSSI
- LV2000: Ethernet over LVDS
- MetroLAN1000: E1/T1/Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 Fibre Multiplexer
- MetroLAN2000: Ethernet/E3/DS3/E1/T1 over STM-1/OC-3 Fibre Multiplexer
- DC3445: E3/DS3 to HSSI converter
- FC3X00: E3/DS3 over Fibre Extender
- WC3445: Ethernet over E3/DS3 Converter
- FM4900: E3 to HSSI converter with SNMP
Networking The World Since 1989