Ethernet over PDH (Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy) is a way for transporting Ethernet traffic over PDH network links such as E1/T1 or E3/DS-3. It is one method available to Service Providers who are looking to add new Carrier Ethernet services over their existing legacy infrastructure.
For example, Ethernet over PDH can be used to leverage a Carrier’s PDH network to meet market demand for low cost, higher bandwidth capacity, or by connecting leased E1/T1 or E3/DS-3 lines to their own packet switched network (PSN).
Metrodata's Ethernet over PDH edge devices support the key industry standards, including Ethernet Operation Administration and Maintenance (OAM) and encapsulation based on Generic Framing Procedure (GFP) to ensure better performance, carrier-class service compatibility and vendor equipment interoperability.
Ethernet over PDH Solutions
Metrodata's MetroCONNECT family offers Carriers and Service Providers easily implemented, cost effective solutions for extending Ethernet services over many different infrastructures, including legacy PDH transport networks. In addition to supporting Ethernet bandwidth delivery using GFP, Metrodata’s Ethernet over PDH solutions ensure consistent Quality of Service throughout the network as well as end-to-end performance, by enabling Carrier Ethernet OAM traffic management, thus facilitating a rapid, scalable and economical migration to Carrier Ethernet services.
Metrodata Products supporting Ethernet over PDH
- MC12000 - Modular Chassis supporting Ethernet over PDH applications
- WCM1100 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP Ethernet over E1/T1 edge extension device
- WCM1101 - Dual 10/100baseT plus SFP Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1400 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP Ethernet over 4-port bonded E1/T1 edge extension device
- WCM1800 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP Ethernet over 8-port bonded E1/T1 edge extension device
- WCM1820 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP Ethernet over 16-port bonded E1/T1 edge extension device
- WCM3100 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP a(href="/products/Carrier-Ethernet-Service-Delivery/wcm3100-ethernet-converter-to-e3-ds3.htm") Ethernet over E3/DS-3 edge extension device
- WCM3200 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP Ethernet over 2-port bonded E3/DS-3 edge extension device
- WCM3400 - Dual 10/100/1000baseT plus SFP Ethernet over 4-port bonded E3/DS-3 edge extension device