FC7100: 10/100BaseT to 100BaseFX Ethernet Media Converter
- Fiber Ethernet Media conversion between 10/100BaseT and 100Base-FX
- Link Loss Forwarding
- LED status indicators
- Zero touch, plug and play interface
- Minimal configuration of unit needed
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- External alarm relay port
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Quad option available with 4 units in a 1U box
FC7100 10/100baseT short haul extension over singlemode fiber
This application shows a pair of Ethernet switches connected over a singlemode fiber using a pair of FC7100 units. This singlemode fiber could be between buildings (e.g. across a business park), or across a city (e.g. over a rented fiber).
The FC7X00 is a switching media converter operating in store and forward mode. The FC7X00 supports auto-negotiation, and auto MDI/MDIX cross-over switching on the copper interface.
To ensure reliable operation, the FC7X00 also supports Link Loss Forwarding, whereby a fault on the fiber will automatically force a link down on the copper port to indicate to the attached device that there is a link problem.
There are three models in the range:
- FC7000 10/100baseT extension over multimode fiber for distances up to 5km
- FC7100 10/100baseT extension over short haul singlemode fiber for distances up to 30km
- FC7200 10/100baseT extension over long haul singlemode fiber for distances up to 70km
Using fiber optics the FC7100 extends the operating distance for a 10/100baseT network to 30km using using singlemode fiber. Despite these quoted maximum operating distances for the FC7X00 products, specific installations may only operate over lower distances due to the variations in losses of different types of fiber cable, the use of connecting fiber cables, or patch panels. When operating over 50% of the maximum distances it is advisable to calculate all fiber optic connector and cable losses and compare these with the fiber optic loss budget specified for this product.
As standard, the 100Base-FX interface is presented using duplex SC fiber transceivers. Other options such as ST and FC/PC are available upon request.
The FC7x00 products are available in a choice of 100-250 VAC or -48 VDC integrated power supplies.
The FC7X00 is part of a range of fiber conversion products from Metrodata. The wider product range offers fiber conversion solutions ranging from 300 baud RS-232, via Nx64kbps rates, through 2Mbps and up to 155Mbps for electrical to fiber conversion; or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fiber mode or wavelength conversion.
100Base-FX Fiber Interface
100Base-FX Short Haul Singlemode 8/125um
|Tx Power||-15 to -8dBm|
|Max Rx input power||-7dBm|
|Rx sensitivity||-31 to -7dBm|
|Optical loss budget||16dB (30km)|
10/100BaseT Electrical Interface
|Port||10/100BaseT with auto-negotiation|
|Interface||RJ45 (Auto Crossover MDI/MDIX)|
|Operating mode||Auto Negotiate, 10M, 100M, Full Duplex, Half Duplex|
|LEDs||Link, Activity, Speed|
Compliance & Approvals
|IEC60825-1 Class 1 Laser Eye Safety|
|Temperature||0-50 deg C|
|0-95% RH, non condensing|
|Storage Temp||-40 to 100 deg C|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72V DC, 150-85 mA|
|AC Mains||100-250 VAC, 50-60Hz, 60-25mA|
|Power Consumption||6 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100-250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|FC7100 Singlemode Short Haul||80-05-938||80-21-938|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Ethernet Media Converters
- FC7X00: Fast Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100baseT to 100baseF, over multimode or singlemode cable, with both short-haul or long-haul applications being supported.
- FCM5000: Managed 1Gb Ethernet Media Converter (copper to fibre conversion) and Entry Level Ethernet Demarcation Device
- FC5000: Gigabit Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseSX or 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseLX
- FC2X00: Fast Ethernet fibre mode media converter, i.e. 100baseF multimode to 100baseF singlemode, with both short-haul or long-haul singlemode applications being supported.
- FC-GigE: Gigabit Ethernet fibre mode conversion, i.e. 1000baseSX to 1000baseLX.
Networking The World Since 1989