FC6000: 622Mbps Singlemode to Multimode Fiber Converter
FC6000: 622Mbps Multimode to Singlemode Fiber Converter
- Simple single mode to multi mode conversion at 622Mbps
- Use instead of expensive singlemode router interfaces
- Low-cost fibre interfacing
- Zero configuration required - just plug & go
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- External alarm relay port
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Quad option available with 4 units in a 1U box
This application shows how a pair of FC6000 units can be used to extend an STM-4/OC-12 connection between two switches over singlemode fibre. The FC6000 is a zero configuration, plus & play device. This singlemode fibre could be between buildings (e.g. across a business park), or across a city (e.g. over a rented fibre).
High capacity routers, ATM switches and other CPE increasingly need to be interconnected by high-speed fibre links, and except within buildings most fibre installations are singlemode for performance reasons. However singlemode interfaces on CPE such as routers are inherently expensive, and so it is generally more cost effective to use a multimode CPE interface along with the Metrodata FC6X00 multimode to singlemode converter.
With the need to extend, or interconnect, communication infrastructures over greater distances, the Metrodata FC6X00 Fiber Converter product range provides a cost effective solution for the extension of STM-4/OC-12 (622Mbps) services.
There are two models in the range:
- FC6000 622Mbps multimode to singlemode short haul fibre (up to 30km)
- FC6500 622Mbps multimode to singlemode long haul fibre (up to 70km)
Using fibre optics the FC6000 extends the operating distance for a 622Mbps multimode fibre to 30km using singlemode fibre. Despite these quoted maximum operating distances for the FC6X00 products, specific installations may only operate over lower distances due to the variations in losses of different types of fibre cable, the use of connecting fibre cables, or patch panels. When operating over 50% of the maximum distances it is advisable to calculate all fibre optic connector and cable losses and compare these with the fibre optic loss budget specified for this product.
The FC6X00 products are totally transparent to both payload and protocol, and as such will convert whatever information at 622Mbps is contained within the light stream from one fibre mode to the other. It requires NO configuration and has a single LED for status.
The standard FC6X00 is supplied with SC fibre connectors and operates at a nominal wavelength of 1300nm. Other wavelengths are available on request, e.g. 850nm, 1550nm, 1550/1300 WDM. Other connector options are also available on request, e.g. ST, FC.
The FC6X00 has integral mains or 40 volt power supply, and can be desktop or rack-mounted. The FC6X00 range can easily be rack mounted in either a 1U two unit rack mount kit, a 6U eighteen unit rack mount kit or is available as a 1U quad box (which contains 4 x FC6X00 units).
The FC6X00 is part of a range of fibre conversion products from Metrodata. The wider product range offers fibre conversion solutions ranging from 300 baud RS-232, via Nx64kbps rates, through 2Mbps and up to 155Mbps for electrical to fibre conversion; or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fibre mode or wavelength conversion.
Multimode Fiber Interface
|Interface||Dual SC Multimode 62 5/125um|
|Tx Power||-14 to -19 dBm|
|Max Rx Power||-14 dBm|
|Rx Sensitivity||-14 to -30 dBm|
|Optical loss budget||-19 - (-30) = 11 dB|
Singlemode Short Haul Fiber Interface
|Interface||Dual SC singlemode 8/125um|
|Tx Power||-8 to -15 dBm|
|Max Rx Power||-8 dBm|
|Rx Sensitivity||-8 to -31 dBm|
|Optical loss budget||-15 - (-31) = 16 dB|
Compliance & Approvals
|Temperature||0 - 45 deg C|
|0 - 95% RH, non condensing|
|Pressure||86 - 106 KPA|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72 DC, 200 - 100 mA|
|AC Mains||100 - 250v AC, 50 - 400Hz, 60 - 25mA IEC connector|
|Power Consumption||4.5 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: - 48 VDC|
|FC6000 Singlemode Shorthaul to Multimode||80-05-913||80-21-913|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
|Quad version available upon request.|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
- E1/T1 G703 BNC/RJ45 equipment, e.g. routers or PBXs - FC1X00
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 155Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC2X00: MM to SM SH/LH Fibre Mode Converter (100baseF, 155Mbps)
- E3/DS3 G.703 equipment, e.g. routers or broadcast video equipment - FC3X00
- STM-1/OC-3 BNC G703 equipment, e.g. core switches - FC4X00
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 622Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC6X00
- RS232, e.g. terminals - FIMO232
- V.35, V.36, X.21, e.g. routers or video conferencing equipment - FIMO2100
- 1000BaseSX to 1000BaseLX Gigabit Ethernet Converter - FC-GigE
- Simple method of delivering 4, 8 or 16 E1 services over redundant fibre - EMUX
- Multiple Ethernet, E1 and T1 equipment - MetroLAN1000
- Multiple Ethernet, E1, T1, E3 and DS3 equipment - MetroLAN2000
Networking The World Since 1989