FC2500: Single mode to Multimode Fibre Converter
- Simple single mode to multimode conversion
- Use instead of expensive single mode router interfaces
- Low cost fibre interfacing
- Operates at 100Mbps for Fast Ethernet and 155Mbps for OC-3/STM-1
- Payload and protocol transparent
- Zero configuration required - just plug & go
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- External alarm relay port
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Quad option available with 4 units in a 1U box
- FC2X00 family - 100baseF and 155Mbps multimode to single mode fibre converter
- FC2000 - 100baseF and 155Mbps multimode to 30km single mode fibre converter
This application shows how a pair of FC2500 units can be used to extend a 100baseF connection between two Ethernet switches over long haul single mode fibre. The FC2500 is a zero configuration, plus & play device. This single mode fibre could be across a city, or between cities (e.g. over a rented fibre).
This application shows how a pair of FC2500 units can be used to extend an STM-1/OC-3 connection between two routers over long haul single mode fibre. The FC2500 is a zero configuration, plus & play device. This single mode fibre could be across a city, or between cities (e.g. over a rented fibre).
High capacity routers, ATM switches and other CPE increasingly need to be interconnected by high-speed fibre links, and except within buildings most fibre installations are single mode for performance reasons. However single mode interfaces on CPE such as routers are inherently expensive, and so it is generally more cost effective to use a multimode CPE interface along with the Metrodata FC2X00 multimode to single mode converter.
With the need to extend, or interconnect, communication infrastructures over greater distances, the Metrodata FC2X00 Fibre Converter product range provides a cost effective solution for the extension of Fast Ethernet (100Mbps) and STM-1/OC-3 (155Mbps) services.
There are two models in the range:
- FC2000 100Mbps and 155Mbps multimode to single mode short haul fibre (up to 30km)
- FC2500 100Mbps and 155Mbps multimode to single mode long haul fibre (up to 70km)
Using fibre optics the FC2500 extends the operating distance for a 100Mbps or 155Mbps multimode fibre to 70km using single mode fibre. Despite these quoted maximum operating distances for the FC2X00 products, specific installations may only operate over lower distances due to the variations in losses of different types of fibre cable, the use of connecting fibre cables, or patch panels. When operating over 50% of the maximum distances it is advisable to calculate all fibre optic connector and cable losses and compare these with the fibre optic loss budget specified for this product.
The FC2X00 products are totally transparent to both payload and protocol, and as such will convert whatever information at 100Mbps or 155Mbps is contained within the light stream from one fibre mode to the other. It requires NO configuration and has a single LED for status.
The standard FC2X00 is supplied with SC fibre connectors and operates at a nominal wavelength of 1300nm. Other wavelengths are available on request, e.g. 850nm, 1550nm, 1550/1300 WDM. Other connector options are also available on request, e.g. ST, FC.
The FC2X00 has integral mains or 40 volt power supply, and can be desktop or rack-mounted. The FC2X00 range can easily be rack mounted in either a 1U two unit rack mount kit , a 6U eighteen unit rack mount kit or is available as a 1U quad box (which contains 4 x FC2X00 units).
The FC2X00 is part of a range of fibre conversion products from Metrodata. The wider product range offers fibre conversion solutions ranging from 300 baud RS-232, via Nx64kbps rates, through 2Mbps and up to 155Mbps for electrical to fibre conversion; or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fibre mode or wavelength conversion.
Multimode Fiber Interface
|Interface||Dual SC Multimode 62.5/125um|
|Bit Rate||100Mbps and 155Mbps|
|Tx Power||-14 to -19 dBm|
|Max Rx Power||-14 dBm|
|Rx Sensitivity||-14 to -30 dBm|
|Optical loss budget||-19 - (-30) = 11 dB|
Single mode Long Haul Fiber Interface
|Interface||Dual SC single mode 8/125um|
|Bit Rate||100Mbps and 155Mbps|
|Tx Power||0 to -5 dBm|
|Max Rx Power||-8 dBm (may need an attenuator)|
|Rx Sensitivity||-8 to -34 dBm|
|Optical loss budget||-5 - (-34) = 29 dB|
Compliance & Approvals
|Temperature||0 - 45 deg C|
|0 - 95% RH, non condensing|
|Pressure||86 - 106 KPA|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72 VDC, 200-100 mA|
|AC Mains||100-250 VAC, 50-400Hz, 60 - 25mA IEC connector|
|Power Consumption||4.5 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: - 48 VDC|
|FC2500 Single mode Longhaul to Multimode||80-05-912||80-21-912|
|1U 2 unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|6U 18 unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
|Quad unit FC2500||80-405-912||80-421-912|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
Ethernet Media Converters
- FC7X00: Fast Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100baseT to 100baseF, over multimode or singlemode cable, with both short-haul or long-haul applications being supported.
- FCM5000: Managed 1Gb Ethernet Media Converter (copper to fibre conversion) and Entry Level Ethernet Demarcation Device
- FC5000: Gigabit Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseSX or 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseLX
- FC2X00: Fast Ethernet fibre mode media converter, i.e. 100baseF multimode to 100baseF singlemode, with both short-haul or long-haul singlemode applications being supported.
- FC-GigE: Gigabit Ethernet fibre mode conversion, i.e. 1000baseSX to 1000baseLX.
- E1/T1 G703 BNC/RJ45 equipment, e.g. routers or PBXs - FC1X00
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 155Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC2X00: MM to SM SH/LH Fibre Mode Converter (100baseF, 155Mbps)
- E3/DS3 G.703 equipment, e.g. routers or broadcast video equipment - FC3X00
- STM-1/OC-3 BNC G703 equipment, e.g. core switches - FC4X00
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 622Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC6X00
- RS232, e.g. terminals - FIMO232
- V.35, V.36, X.21, e.g. routers or video conferencing equipment - FIMO2100
- 1000BaseSX to 1000BaseLX Gigabit Ethernet Converter - FC-GigE
- Simple method of delivering 4, 8 or 16 E1 services over redundant fibre - EMUX
- Multiple Ethernet, E1 and T1 equipment - MetroLAN1000
- Multiple Ethernet, E1, T1, E3 and DS3 equipment - MetroLAN2000
Networking The World Since 1989