FC4200: STM-1/OC-3 to Fibre Converter
FC4200: 155Mbps STM-1/OC-3 Electrical BNC to Long Haul Singlemode Fibre Converter Range
- Low cost 155Mbps fibre to BNC converter
- Connects legacy OC-3/STM-1 electrical equipment to modern fibre equipment
- Transparent clear channel operation for unframed or framed signals
- Choice of multimode and singlemode fibre interfaces
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- External alarm relay port
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Quad option available with 4 units in a 1U box
This application shows how an FC4200 unit can be used to interface between a legacy switch with 155Mbps STM-1/OC-3 electrical BNC ports and a standard STM-1/OC-3 leased line circuit delivered over long haul singlemode fibre. In this way historic Telecom switches with 155Mbps STM-1/OC-3 electrical BNC interfaces can be re-used in modern fibre based infrastructures, reducing costs and gaining benefits from the features of both legacy and modern equipment. This singlemode fibre could be across a city, or between cities (e.g. over a rented fibre).
Legacy STM-1/OC-3 155Mbps equipment is often fitted with G.703 BNC electrical interfaces. The FC4X00 product family enables connection of this equipment across fibre.
The FC4X00 product family also enables connection of STM-1/OC-3 BNC electrical equipment to STM-1/OC-3 fibre equipment.
There are three models in the range:
- FC4000 155Mbps STM-1/OC-3 G.703 BNC electrical to 5km multimode fibre converter
- FC4100 155Mbps STM-1/OC-3 G.703 BNC electrical to 30km singlemode fibre converter
- FC4200 155Mbps STM-1/OC-3 G.703 BNC electrical to 70km singlemode fibre converter
Using fibre optics the FC4200 extends the operating distance for a 155Mbps electrical signal to 70km using singlemode fibre. Despite these quoted maximum operating distances for the FC4X00 products, specific installations may only operate over lower distances due to the variations in losses of different types of fibre cable, the use of connecting fibre cables, or patch panels. When operating over 50% of the maximum distances it is advisable to calculate all fibre optic connector and cable losses and compare these with the fibre optic loss budget specified for this product.
The FC4X00 products are totally transparent to both payload and protocol, and as such will convert whatever information at 155Mbps is received from one fibre mode to the other. It requires minimal configuration and has a single LED for status.
The standard FC4X00 is supplied with SC fibre connectors and operates at a nominal wavelength of 1300nm. Other wavelengths are available on request, e.g. 850nm, 1550nm, 1550/1300 WDM. Other connector options are also available on request, e.g. ST, FC.
The FC4X00 has integral mains or 40 volt power supply, and can be desktop or rack-mounted. The FC4X00 range can easily be rack mounted in either a 1U two unit rack mount kit, a 6U eighteen unit rack mount kit or is available as a 1U quad box (which contains 4 x FC4X00 units).
The FC4X00 is also available in a card based format for use with the 4U 12-slot MetroRack managed chassis.
The FC4X00 is part of a range of fibre conversion products from Metrodata. The wider product range offers fibre conversion solutions ranging from 2Mbps up to 155Mbps for electrical to fibre conversion, or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fibre mode or wavelength conversion.
STM-1 Electrical Interface
|Interface||Dual BNC (75ohm)|
|Bit Rate||155 Mbps +/- 15ppm|
|Barrier||Fully barriers per EN41003|
|Cable Lengths||RG59 = 70m, UR202 = 80m|
Singlemode Long Haul Fiber Interface
|Interface||Dual SC singlemode 8/125um|
|Bit Rate||155 Mbps +/- 15ppm|
|Tx Power||0 to -5 dBm|
|Max Rx Power||-8 dBm (may need an attenuator)|
|Rx Sensitivity||-8 to -34 dBm|
|Optical loss budget||-5 - (-34) = 29 dB|
Compliance & Approvals
|Temperature||0-45 deg C|
|0-95% RH, non condensing|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72 DC, 200-100 mA|
|AC Mains||100-250 VAC, 50-400 Hz, 65-25 mA IEC connector|
|Power Consumption||4.5 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100-250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|FC4200 Singlemode longhaul to STM-1/OC-3||80-05-917||80-21-917|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
|Quad 1U FC4200||80-405-917||80-421-917|
|MetroRack FC4200 Module||80-15-917||80-15-917|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
- E1/T1 G703 BNC/RJ45 equipment, e.g. routers or PBXs - FC1X00
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 155Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC2X00: MM to SM SH/LH Fibre Mode Converter (100baseF, 155Mbps)
- E3/DS3 G.703 equipment, e.g. routers or broadcast video equipment - FC3X00
- STM-1/OC-3 BNC G703 equipment, e.g. core switches - FC4X00
- Multimode Fibre interfaces at 622Mbit/s, e.g. routers - FC6X00
- RS232, e.g. terminals - FIMO232
- V.35, V.36, X.21, e.g. routers or video conferencing equipment - FIMO2100
- 1000BaseSX to 1000BaseLX Gigabit Ethernet Converter - FC-GigE
- Simple method of delivering 4, 8 or 16 E1 services over redundant fibre - EMUX
- Multiple Ethernet, E1 and T1 equipment - MetroLAN1000
- Multiple Ethernet, E1, T1, E3 and DS3 equipment - MetroLAN2000
- FC4X00: STM-1 G.703 BNC to Fibre Converter
- WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM-1
- MetroLAN1000: E1/T1/Ethernet to STM-1 Fibre Multiplexer
- MetroLAN2000: E3/DS3/E1/T1/Ethernet to STM-1 Fibre Multiplexer
Networking The World Since 1989