Metrodata has been involved in satellite backhaul for a number of years see Metrodata's satellite backhaul history.
Metrodata specialise in solutions for integrating satellite and terrestrial networks, supplying many product features that resolve specific satellite backhaul, reachback or longhaul problems.
Where you have a requirement to take a connection from a satellite modem, and transport it over fiber, wide area network (WAN) circuits, microwave radio or free space optics then we can help. Typical examples include extending your satellite service from a teleport to the customer site, or integrating your satellite service from your head-end teleport into your terrestrial network infrastructure.
Access Processor platform being used to backhaul satellite services
The diagram above shows the Access Processor product being used in a typical satellite backhaul application at either end of a terrestrial infrastructure, i.e. extending the service from the satellite earth station (supporting EIA530, HSSI, ECL, ASI or G.703 satellite modems) over a terrestrial infrastructure (e.g. a leased line, microwave link, free space optics link, or fibre) to the customer equipment (e.g. a router, ATM switch or broadcast video equipment (which can be delivered as EIA530, HSSI, or ASI).
Metrodata's flagship product for resolving satellite backhaul problems is the Access Processor range, which supports the following satellite modem interfaces:
- HSSI (up to 100Mbps with 1bps granularity, can also slave off satellite modem for exact clocking)
- ECL (up to 100Mbps with 1bps granularity, can also slave off satellite modem for exact clocking)
- EIA530 (up to 20Mbps with 1bps granularity, can also slave off satellite modem for exact clocking)
- ASI (up to 52Mbps with 1bps granularity, can also slave off satellite modem for exact clocking)
- G.703 (T1 1.544Mbps, E1 2.048Mbps, E2 8.448Mbps, E3 34.368Mbps and DS3 44.736Mbps)
Often our equipment is used to backhaul over transatlantic DS3 and OC-3 circuits, however these might just as easily be local leased lines or fiber optic links. The following terrestrial infrastructures are supported:
- EIA530 (Nx56kbps, Nx64kbps)
- E1 (2Mbps)
- E2 (8Mbps)
- E3 (34Mbps)
- DS3 (45Mbps)
- OC-3 / STM-1 (155Mbps), also used for fibre solutions (multimode, singlemode shorthaul, singlemode longhaul)
Metrodata provide a number of unique technical solutions to satellite backhaul applications, supporting all of the common satellite modem interfaces, matching the data rate flexibility of satellite modems, and supporting the following network topologies:
Networking The World Since 1989