LAN over Sonet OC-3/SDH STM-1: WC155
The WC155 product has now been superceded by the much more flexible and fully manageable MetroCONNECT WCM5100 product which offers advanced functionality at a cost-effective price point. The WC155 is no longer available.
WC155 Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 Extender
- Must be used in pairs
- Feature rich LAN extension over fibre
- Auto-negotiating 10/100BaseT subscriber port, with auto MDI/MDIX switching
- Wire speed forwarding of remote packets
- Wire speed filtering of local packets
- SONET OC-3/SDH STM-1 framing with GFP WAN port
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- External alarm relay port
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
WC155/MM as a 10/100baseT over Multimode STM-1/OC-3 Extender
This application shows how a pair of WC155/MM units can be used to connect a 10/100baseT Ethernet link across an STM-1/OC-3 leased line service delivered using multimode fibre.
WC155/SMSH as a 10/100baseT over Singlemode STM-1/OC-3 Extender
This application shows how a pair of WC155/SMSH units can be used to connect a 10/100baseT Ethernet link across an STM-1/OC-3 leased line service delivered using singlemode fibre.
WC155/SMLH as a 10/100baseT over Long Haul Singlemode STM-1/OC-3 Extender
This application shows how a pair of WC155/SMLH units can be used to connect a 10/100baseT Ethernet link across an STM-1/OC-3 leased line service delivered using long haul singlemode fibre.
With the need to extend, or interconnect, communication infrastructures over greater distances, and the cost of fibre falling dramatically, the Metrodata WC155 Fibre Converter product range provides a cost effective solution for the extension of Ethernet networks over STM-1/OC-3 services.
The WC155 has a 10/100BaseT user port, supporting auto-negotiation and automatic MDI/MDI-X crossover switching by default, though full manual control is available via bit switches. The user port will perform MAC address based filtering of local packets and will forward all other packets. The WC155 offers full wire speed, full duplex operation even for minimum 64 byte packets, which for 100baseT is 148810 packets per second. In more complex installations using VLANs, the WC155 supports large frames up to 1536 bytes thereby allowing the transport of VLAN tagged packets.
The WAN port is presented as a duplex SC fibre port with a choice of fibre transceivers available. This port supports either SONET OC-3 or SDH STM-1 framing at 155Mbps. LAN traffic is transported using the GFP (Draft Rev 2 ANSI T1X1.5) standard which requires the full OC-3 or STM-1 bandwidth to transport the user LAN traffic.
There are three models in the range:
- WC155/MM Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 multimode fibre (up to 5km)
- WC155/SMSH Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 singlemode short haul fibre (up to 30km)
- WC155/SMLH Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 singlemode long haul fibre (up to 70km)
Using fibre optics the WC155 products extend the operating distance for a 10/100baseT interface to 5km using low cost multimode fibre, or to either 30km or 70km using singlemode fibre. Despite these quoted maximum operating distances for the WC155 products, specific installations may only operate over lower distances due to the variations in losses of different types of fibre cable, the use of connecting fibre cables, or patch panels. When operating over 50% of the maximum distances it is advisable to calculate all fibre optic connector and cable losses and compare these with the fibre optic loss budget specified for this product.
The WC155 supports a maximum packet size (MTU) of 1536 bytes which is sufficient to transport double VLAN tagged frames (Q-in-Q).
For critical applications, an external alarm relay is provided to indicate power failure and WAN port alarm conditions. LEDs also indicate unit status.
The standard WC155 is supplied with SC fibre connectors and operates at a nominal wavelength of 1300nm. Other wavelengths are available on request, e.g. 850nm, 1550nm, 1550/1300 WDM. Other connector options are also available on request, e.g. ST, FC.
The WC155 has integral mains or 0 volt power supply, and can be desktop or rack-mounted. The WC155 range can easily be rack mounted in either a 1U two unit rack mount kit, a 6U eighteen unit rack mount kit.
The WC155 is part of a range of products from Metrodata, offering fibre conversion solutions ranging from 2Mbps up to 155Mbps for electrical to fibre conversion, or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fibre mode or wavelength conversion.
|No. of Ports||1|
|Presentation||10/100 Base TX, RJ45, Auto-MDI/MDI-X|
|LED Support||Link / Activity & Speed|
|Operating Mode||Auto-negotiate for 10/100, Full or Half Duplex with Manual override|
|Port Filtering Rate||148810 packets/second|
|Port Switching Rate||148810 packets/second|
|MAC Address Table||4096 entires|
|Packet Size||64 bytes minimum, 1536 bytes maximum|
WAN Port Specs
|Mode||Multimode 62.5/125um||Singlemode short haul 8/125um||Singlemmode long haul 8/125um|
|Presentation||Dual SC fibre||Dual SC fibre||Dual SC fibre|
|Framing||Sonet OC-3 or SDH STM-1||Sonet OC-3 or SDH STM-1||Sonet OC-3 or SDH STM-1|
|Encapsulation||GFP over OC-3/SPE or STM-1/VC4||GFP over OC-3/SPE or STM-1/VC4||GFP over OC-3/SPE or STM-1/VC4|
|Timing||Internal or Loop||Internal or loop||Internal or loop|
|Alarms||LOS, LOF, AIS, RDI||LOS, LOF, AIS, RDI||LOS, LOF, AIS, RDI|
|Diagnostics||Fibre loop or Ethernet loop||Fibre loop or Ethernet loop||Fibre loop or Ethernet loop|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions WxDxH mm
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Desktop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Temp||0 - 50 deg C|
|Humidity||95% RH, non-condensing|
|Pressure||86 - 106 KPA|
|AC Mains||100-250VAC, 50-60Hz, 60-24mA IEC Connector|
|-48VDC||-40 to -72VDC, 200-100mA|
|AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|WC155/MM Ethernet over Multimode Fibre||80-05-547||80-21-547|
|WC155/SMSH Ethernet over Singlemode shorthaul||80-05-548||80-21-548|
|WC155/SMLH Ethernet over Singlemode longhaul||80-05-549||80-21-549|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Standalone Units
- WC-Serial: WC-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- WC1000: WC1000 Unmanaged Fast Ethernet over E1 / T1
- WCM1100: Gigabit Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1101: 10/100Mb Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1400: WCM1400 Ethernet Extender over 4x bonded E1 or T1
- WCM1800: WCM1800 Ethernet Converter over 8x E1 or T1
- WCM1820: WCM1820 Ethernet Converter to 16x E1 or T1
- WCM3100: WCM3100 Ethernet Converter to E3 or DS3
- WCM3200: WCM3200 Ethernet Extender over 2x E3 or DS3
- WCM3400: Ethernet Aggregator for 4x E3 or DS3
- WCM5100: WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM1 or OC3
- WCM-Serial: WCM-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- LHM1000: LHM1000 Ethernet Converter to HSSI Serial
- WC X.21: Ethernet over X.21
- WC V.35: Ethernet over V.35
- WC1000: Fast Ethernet over E1 G.703
- WC-Serial: Fast Ethernet to Serial 'Plug & Play' Extender
- WCM1000: Ethernet over E1 G.703
- WC3445: Ethernet over E3
- WC3445: Ethernet over DS3
- WC155: Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3
- LH1000: Ethernet over HSSI
- LV2000: Ethernet over LVDS
- MetroLAN1000: E1/T1/Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 Fibre Multiplexer
- MetroLAN2000: Ethernet/E3/DS3/E1/T1 over STM-1/OC-3 Fibre Multiplexer
- FC4X00: STM-1 G.703 BNC to Fibre Converter
- WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM1
- MetroLAN1000: E3/DS3/E1/T1/Ethernet to STM-1 Fibre Multiplexer
- MetroLAN2000: E3/DS3/E1/T1/Ethernet to STM-1 Fibre Multiplexer
Networking The World Since 1989