Gigabit Copper & Fibre Ethernet NID
The FCM8000 has been superceeded by our main EDD range (also known as Network Interface Devices, or 'NIDs') currently centres on the FCM9003 (layer 2 / layer 3), and the Advanced FCM9005 (layer 2 / layer 3) products, full details of which can be found under the Managed Carrier Ethernet Service Demarcation product menu.
- Managed demarcation/network interface device for Ethernet Services
- Up to 1Gbps with both Copper & Fibre LAN and Network Ports
- 802.3ah & 802.1ag OAM service integrity checking (EFM, CFM)
- Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) fully automated discovery, installation and commissioning test process.
- Support for Performance-Assured Ethernet (PAE) Services
- Customer VLAN and Q-in-Q support, with Traffic Prioritisation
- Link Loss Forwarding, RSTP, Jumbo Frame Support (10k byte)
- Compact unit with robust metal housing and integral power supply
- Auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions), 12-24V DC on request
- Designed and manufactured in the UK
Core to Edge Networks
The FCM8000 can be deployed wherever managed service demarcation is required at the customer site. The FCM8000 supports standards compliant OAM functions and offers management visibility right up to the customer site demarcation point. Both copper and fibre (SFP) network connections are offered.
Site to Site & Meshed Networks
The FCM8000 can be used for the service demarcation of a wide variety of Carrier Ethernet services, including E-Line, E-Tree and E-LAN. Service separation can be achieved using VLANs, with prioritisation used to ensure that mixed traffic flows are handled appropriately. Continuous monitoring of service continuity and transmission delays underpin service integrity with the pro-active reporting of any significant service variations.
Wholesale Infrastructure & Multi-Carrier Deployments
The majority of Ethernet Service Providers today are in fact Aggregators, offering end-to-end connections supplied on a wholesale basis, potentially sourced from a number of different Infrastructure Carriers. It is important for the Aggregator to ensure that their end-to-end service, right into the customer premises, has an acceptable delay profile for real time applications. In these deployments the FCM8000 can perform the necessary measurements whilst monitoring for any changes in performance levels below pre-defined thresholds.
The FCM8000 has sophisticated and flexible Layer 2 Control Protocol policy management supporting either the filtering or pass-through of a wide variety of packet types including vendor proprietary L2CP frames. The FCM8000 supports auto MDI/MDIX cross-over switching on the copper interfaces, auto- negotiation and the transmission of 10k byte Jumbo frames. To ensure quick fault detection, the FCM8000 supports Link Loss Forwarding, whereby a network fault can automatically force a link down on the user ports to indicate to the attached devices that there is a link problem.
The FCM8000 offers a sophisticated but cost effective demarcation solution for Ethernet Service Providers, with flexible interface options. Measurement of the key parameters: delay and delay variation, is performed to ensure that the service is suitable for real time applications such as VoIP. These measurements can also be performed in-service against programmable thresholds to prove that the service continues to operate effectively over the longer term. This proactive fault detection assists in the rapid isolation of potential service problems resulting in high service levels whilst reducing operational costs (OPEX).
The FCM8000 supports Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP), minimising both on-site installation time and the Engineering skills required. This auto-provisioning process reduces on-site installation to a plug and play exercise, simple enough for the end user to perform themselves, i.e. simply checking that the Ethernet LEDs indicate correct physical connectivity. The EDD auto-discovers its management connection, IP address and TFTP server, then downloads its individual service definition parameters and management system contact details. The EDD then measures the delay of the service to milli-second resolution to prove that the service has been provisioned appropriately for real time applications. The EDD then auto-provisions itself and sends a service availability certificate to the NOC for inclusion into the Service Providers provisioning documentation. Subsequent in-service delay verification measurements then continue to check that service levels are being maintained and notify of any drop in performance below a set of programmable thresholds.
The sophisticated commissioning process followed up with in-service continuity checking and delay monitoring combine to minimize the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of Ethernet Service Provision.
The FCM8000 is available in a choice of 100-250 VAC or -48 VDC integrated power supplies, although a 12V-24V DC version is also available on request.
Please contact Metrodata for price and availability of SFP modules including standard 1310nm singlemode as well as long haul, 1550nm, bi-directional and CWDM.
- 1 port 10/100/1000BaseT
- 1 port 10/100/1000BaseT
- 1 port 100BaseFX/1000BaseX (SFP)
- 4096 VLANs (IEEE 802.1Q customer-tagged) & stacked VLANs (Q-in-Q service provider-tagged)
- 1-tag management (push/pop) for c-tag or s-tag
- IEEE 802.1ad Provider Bridging (s-tag)
- Service classification based on 802.1p or “inherited” DSCP QOS definitions
- IEEE 802.3ah Link OAM (EFM)
- IEEE 802.1ag Connectivity Fault Management (CFM)
SLA Measurement and Verification
- Embedded SLA test generator & analyser accurate to millisecond resolution
- Link Loss Forwarding to signal network path failures
- Delay variation measurements
- Statistics gathered on a per-port & per-service basis
- 15-minute & 1-day performance data capture
- Physical parameter monitoring for SFP optics
Automated Configuration & Provisioning
- Zero-Touch-Commissioning from centralized or remote infrastructure
- Management connection and layer-3 discovery process
- EDD downloads individually tailored service definitions
- Circuit commissioned evidence sent to NOC automatically
- Self-provisioning by EDD once tests complete
- Local craft port (9-way D) which can be disabled
- Local LAN port (RJ45) using CLI, SNMP & Web GUI interfaces
- Maintains in-band VLAN & MAC-based management tunnels
- Telnet, SSH (v1/v2), SNMP
- System software upgrade via TFTP
Layer 2 control protocol policy management
- Per-port filtering or tunnelling of L2CP and other protocols, e.g. RSTP
Alarms & Resilience
- SNMP Trap notification of EDD status including service availability, LAN disconnect warning & user-defined SLA thresholds exceeded
Regulatory & Standards Compliance
- IEEE 802.1Q (VLAN), 802.1p (Priority, 4 queues)
- 802.3ah (EFM), 802.1ag (CFM)
- Safety EN60950
- EMC EN55032, EN55024
- Dimensions: 1U half width, 202 x 132 x 44mm
- Operating temperature: 0 to +50°C
- Storage temperature: -40 to +70°C
- Humidity: Up to 95% non-condensing
- AC PSU: 100 to 250V AC
- DC PSU: -40 to -72V DC (12-24V DC optional)
- Maximum power consumption: 10 Watts
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|FCM8000 (with no SFP fitted)||80-70-936||80-71-936|
|2 unit rack mount kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 unit rack mount kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
If you require further information on the FCM8000 please contact out sales team with your requirements.
|Commonly used SFP transceivers||Order Code||Description|
|1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet||80-31-001|| Copper Interface |
|1Gbps Multimode 550m 850nm||80-31-011|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 7.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-31-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 9.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-31-033|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 18dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-31-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 20dB
|100Mbps Multimode 2km 1300nm||80-30-021|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 8.5dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-30-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 13dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-30-033|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 20dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-30-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 29dB
Other SFPs are available on request including long haul, 1550nm, CWDM and bi-directional.
Whilst the MetroCONNECT product range uses industry standard user exchangeable SFPs, it is recommended that these are purchased from Metrodata to guarantee their specification and compatibility with each other.
If you require another SFP please Contact our Sales Team contact our sales team with your requirements.
MetroCONNECT Managed Carrier Ethernet Service Demarcation
- FCM9003 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Demarcation Device with L2/L3 Traffic Test & Monitoring
- FCM9005 Multi-port 1Gbps Advanced Ethernet Demarcation Device with L2/L3 Traffic Test & Monitoring
- FCM10G05 10Gbps Advanced Ethenet Demarcation Device with L2/L3 Traffic Test & Monitoring
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Chassis System
- MetroConnect Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery Platform
- FCC9000: Dual 10/100/1000baseT to 1000base-X Ethernet Media Converter Module
- WCC1400 MetroConnect Ethernet over 4-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC1800 MetroConnect Ethernet over 8-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC3200 MetroConnect Ethernet over 2-port Fractional E3/DS3 LAN Extension Module
- WCC5200 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over Dual STM-1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC-Serial MetroConnect Ethernet over Serial Module
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Standalone Units
- WC-Serial: WC-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- WC1000: WC1000 Unmanaged Fast Ethernet over E1 / T1
- WCM1100: Gigabit Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1101: 10/100Mb Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1400: WCM1400 Ethernet Extender over 4x bonded E1 or T1
- WCM1800: WCM1800 Ethernet Converter over 8x E1 or T1
- WCM1820: WCM1820 Ethernet Converter to 16x E1 or T1
- WCM3100: WCM3100 Ethernet Converter to E3 or DS3
- WCM3200: WCM3200 Ethernet Extender over 2x E3 or DS3
- WCM3400: Ethernet Aggregator for 4x E3 or DS3
- WCM5100: WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM1 or OC3
- WCM-Serial: WCM-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- LHM1000: LHM1000 Ethernet Converter to HSSI Serial
Ethernet Media Converters
- FC7X00: Fast Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100baseT to 100baseF, over multimode or singlemode cable, with both short-haul or long-haul applications being supported.
- FCM5000: Managed 1Gb Ethernet Media Converter (copper to fibre conversion) and Entry Level Ethernet Demarcation Device
- FC5000: Gigabit Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseSX or 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseLX
- FC2X00: Fast Ethernet fibre mode media converter, i.e. 100baseF multimode to 100baseF singlemode, with both short-haul or long-haul singlemode applications being supported.
- FC-GigE: Gigabit Ethernet fibre mode conversion, i.e. 1000baseSX to 1000baseLX.
Networking The World Since 1989