NT1003 Embedded Ethernet Network Performance Assurance
Customer Ethernet Network Assurance Monitoring
- Up to 1Gbps throughput, with support for either copper or fibre Network ports
- Integrated 'MetroSAM' hardware for wire speed SLA measurement & verification
- RFC2544 and Y.1564 test traffic generation, loop back and reporting, for both Layer-2 (Ethernet MAC) and Layer-3 (IP) traffic
- Remotely accessible from central Management platform, via Telnet/SSH and Web Browser
- Reporting against throughput, packet-loss, latency and jitter, for multiple packet-sizes
- Optional in-service monitoring against pre-defined 'Service Level Agreement' (SLA) performance criteria, with alarming via SNMP in the event of under-performance
- Full support, including alarming are incident logging, for fibre fault detection and localisation via OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometry), when used in combination with the iSFC fibre Transceivers of Optical Zonu Corporation
The ever-increasing capacity, complexity and criticality of Enterprise Networks is providing a challenge to IT staff. Enterprise networks may include links provided by different WAN Carriers and tail-SLA Determination, Verification & Reporting Customer Network SLA Determination, Verification & Reporting circuit providers. For high-capacity networks, Ethernet is the physical connection medium of choice, with WAN services most commonly provisioned via Layer-2 or Layer-3 Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
Since Ethernet is inherently non-deterministic, monitoring and management of actual performance levels, particularly latency and jitter which are critical to modern VoIP and Video applications, is a real challenge when compared with earlier generation connection-oriented PDH/SDH infrastructures. Particularly in the case of multi-carrier networks, it is difficult for the Enterprise IT team to know whether they are 'getting what they are paying for' in terms of defined 'Service Level Agreement' (SLA) for key network characteristics including throughput, packet-loss, latency and jitter.
By deploying Metrodata's cost-effective NetTESTER family devices, standard tests such as RFC2544 and/or ITU-T Y.1564 can be instigated at any time between different segments of the WAN, with the results monitored remotely at the Network Operations Centre (NOC). The NT1003, like its sister unit, the NT1005, generates both Layer-2 (Ethernet MAC addressed) and/or Layer-3 (IP) test traffic and can also perform line-rate Source/Destination Address swapping loop-back, via Metrodata's custom 'MetroSAM' (Service Assurance Module) hardware.
Optionally, by integrating the NT1003 more closely into the network, using the ITU-T Y.1731 and/or TWAMP protocols, test units can be configured to provide background monitoring of network performance relative to pre-defined SLA criteria, providing alarms to the NOC in the event of a breach of contracted performance from one or more Network Carriers.
The NT1003 is a powerful & versatile Ethernet Network Performance tester, typically deployed by Enterprises at their connection points to Carrier-providedWide-Area Networks, for verification of the characteristics of Carrier services.
Normally transparent to all network traffic, the NT1003 is a cost-effective device for installation 'in-situ' between the Carrier's termination point and the Enterprise's own Switch or Router, ready to be activated remotely for testing purposes as and when required. Operating with both layer-2 and Layer-3 addressing, the NT1003 contains custom- hardware for the generation of test traffic, loop-back (by line-rate packet-level Source/Destination address swapping) and analysis, to Industry-standard test profiles including RFC 2544 and ITU-T Y.1564.
Users access the NT1003 either via a local terminal (or emulator), or remotely across the network via Telnet/SSH or Web Browser, to configure any unit as either a test traffic generator active test point, or line-rate loop-back point for Ethernet MAC or IP addressed test packets. Output can be viewed 'live' or transmitted as a report via TFTP to a remote console.
Optionally, the NT1003 can be configured to operate whilst the network is 'in-service', providing real-time monitoring of jitter and latency between other points in the network via the use of ITU-TY.1731 (for Layer-2 traffic) orTWAMP ('Two-way Active Measurement Protocol', for Layer-3 traffic), SNMP alarms being issued to one or more Management stations should pre-defined 'Service Level Agreement' criteria fail to be met.
The NT1003 is available in a choice of 100-250 VAC or -48 VDC integrated power supplies, although a 12V-24V DC version is also available on request.
Please Contact Metrodata for price and availability of SFP modules including standard 1310nm singlemode as well as long haul, 1550nm, bi-directional and CWDM.
- 2x port 10/100/1000BaseT
- 1 port 100BaseFX/1000BaseX (SFP)
SLA Measurement & Verification
- Embedded test packet generator and delay analyser accurate to micro-second resolution
- ITU-T Y.1564 and RFC2544 testing methodologies
- Port & service-level loop backs
In-Service Performance Monitoring
- Delay and delay variation monitoring via ITU-T Y.1731 and TWAMP-lite
- Statistics gathered on a per-port & per-service basis
- SFP DDM support for fibre optic monitoring including TDR and Optical TDR
- Local craft port (9-way D) which can be disabled
- Local RJ45 or remote network access for CLI, Web GUI, Telnet, SSH (v2) & SNMP
- TACACS+ for user authentication
Alarms & Resilience
- SNMP Trap notification of network connectivity or SLA failures
- “Dying Gasp” SNMP Trap in the event of power loss
Regulatory & Standards Compliance
- Safety EN60950
- EMC EN55032, EN55024
- Dimensions: 1U half width, 202 x 132 x 44mm
- Operating temperature: 0 to +50°C
- Storage temperature: -40 to +70°C
- Humidity: Up to 95% non-condensing
- AC PSU: 100 to 250V AC
- DC PSU: -40 to -72V DC (12-24V DC optional)
- Maximum power consumption: 10 Watts
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
If you require further information on the NT1003 please contact our sales team with your requirements.
|Commonly used SFP transceivers||Order Code||Description|
|1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet||80-31-001|| Copper Interface |
|1Gbps Multimode 550m 850nm||80-31-011|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 7.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-31-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 9.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-31-033|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 18dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-31-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 20dB
|100Mbps Multimode 2km 1300nm||80-30-021|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 8.5dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-30-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 13dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-30-033|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 20dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-30-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 29dB
Other SFPs are available on request including long haul, 1550nm, CWDM and bi-directional.
Whilst the NetTESTER product range uses industry standard user exchangeable SFPs, it is recommended that these are purchased from Metrodata to guarantee their specification and compatibility with each other.
If you require another SFP please contact our sales team with your requirements.
Networking The World Since 1989