Embedded Ethernet Network Tester
NetTESTER is a range of Embedded Ethernet Network Performance Testing monitors which can make your complex network systems easy to monitor. Operating under remote management control, within both Switched and IP-Routed infrastructures, NetTESTER devices generate test traffic, perform line-rate loop-back with address-swapping, and submit network health reports back the Network Control Centre, as a vital aide to performance verification and trouble-shooting.
Embedded Ethernet Network Tester
- Up to 1Gbps throughput, with support for multiple LAN and copper or fibre Network ports
- Integrated 'MetroSAM' hardware for wire speed SLA measurement & verification
- RFC2544 and Y.1564 test traffic generation, loop back and reporting, for both Layer-2 (Ethernet MAC) and Layer-3 (IP) traffic
- Dual-redundant PSU variant available for increased in-situ resilience
- Remotely accessible from central Management platform, via Telnet/SSH and Web Browser
- Reporting against throughput, packet-loss, latency and jitter, for multiple packet-sizes
- Optional in-service monitoring against pre-defined 'Service Level Agreement' (SLA) performance criteria, with alarming via SNMP in the event of under-performance
- Full support, including alarming are incident logging, for fibre fault detection and localisation via OTDR (Optical Time Domain Reflectometry), when used in combination with the iSFC fibre Transceivers of Optical Zonu Corporation
The NT1005 is a powerful & versatile Ethernet Network Performance tester, typically deployed by Enterprises at their connection points to Carrier-providedWide-Area Networks,for verification of the characteristics of Carrier services.
Normally transparent to all network traffic, the NT1005 is a device for installation left 'in-situ' between the Carrier's termination point and the Enterprise's own Switch or Router, ready to be activated remotely for testing purposes as and when required. Operating with both layer-2 and Layer-3 addressing, the NT1005 contains custom- hardware for the generation of test traffic, loop-back (by line-rate packet-level Source/Destination address swapping) and analysis, to Industry-standard test profiles including RFC 2544 and ITU-T Y.1564.
Users access the NT1005 either via a local terminal (or emulator), or remotely across the network via Telnet/SSH or Web Browser, to configure any unit as either a test traffic generator active test point, or line-rate loop-back point for Ethernet MAC or IP addressed test packets. Output can be viewed 'live' or transmitted as a report via TFTP to a remote console
Optionally, the NT1005 can be configured to operate whilst the network is 'in-service', providing real-time monitoring of jitter, latency and packet-loss between other points in the network via the use of ITU-T Y.1731 (for Layer-2 traffic) or TWAMP ('Two-way Active Measurement Protocol', for IP-addressed traffic), SNMP alarms being issued to one or more Management stations should pre-defined 'Service Level Agreement' criteria fail to be met.
The NT1005 is available in a choice of 100-250 VAC or -48 VDC integrated power supplies, although a 12V-24V DC version is also available on request.
Please contact Metrodata for price and availability of SFP modules including standard 1310nm singlemode as well as long haul, 1550nm, bi-directional and CWDM.
The ever-increasing capacity, complexity and criticality of Enterprise Networks is providing a challenge to IT staff. Enterprise networks may include links provided by different WAN Carriers and tail-SLA Determination, Verification & Reporting Customer Network SLA Determination, Verification & Reporting circuit providers. For high-capacity networks, Ethernet is the physical connection medium of choice, with WAN services most commonly provisioned via Layer-2 or Layer-3 Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
Since Ethernet is inherently non-deterministic, monitoring and management of actual performance levels, particularly latency and jitter which are critical to modern VoIP and Video applications, is a real challenge when compared with earlier generation connection-oriented PDH/SDH infrastructures. Particularly in the case of multi-carrier networks, it is difficult for the Enterprise IT team to know whether they are 'getting what they are paying for' in terms of defined 'Service Level Agreement' (SLA) for key network characteristics including throughput, packet-loss, latency and jitter.
By deploying Metrodata's NetTESTER family devices, standard tests such as RFC2544 and/or ITU-T Y.1564 can be instigated at any time between different segments of the WAN, with the results monitored remotely at the Network Operations Centre (NOC). The NT1005, like its sister unit, the NT1003, generates both Layer-2 (Ethernet MAC addressed) and/or Layer-3 (IP) test traffic and can also perform line-rate Source/Destination Address swapping loop-back, via Metrodata's custom 'MetroSAM' (Service Assurance Module) hardware.
Optionally, by integrating the NT1005 more closely into the network, using the ITU-T Y.1731 and/or TWAMP protocols, test units can be configured to provide background monitoring of network performance relative to pre-defined SLA criteria, providing alarms to the NOC in the event of a breach of contracted performance from one or more Network Carriers.
- 4x port LAN 10/100/1000BaseT
- 1x port WAN 10/100/1000BaseT
- 1x WAN, 1x LAN 100BaseFX/1000BaseX (SFP)
SLA Measurement & Verification
- Embedded test packet generator and delay analyser accurate to micro-second resolution
- ITU-T Y.1564 and RFC2544 testing methodologies
- Port & service-level loop backs
In-Service Performance Monitoring
- Delay and delay variation monitoring via ITU-T Y.1731 and TWAMP-lite
- Statistics gathered on a per-port & per-service basis
- SFP DDM support for fibre optic monitoring including TDR and Optical TDR
- Local craft port (9-way D) which can be disabled
- Local RJ45 or remote network access for CLI, Web GUI, Telnet, SSH (v2) & SNMP
- TACACS+ for user authentication
Alarms & Resilience
- SNMP Trap notification of network connectivity or SLA failures
- “Dying Gasp” SNMP Trap in the event of power loss
Regulatory & Standards Compliance
- Safety EN60950
- EMC EN55032, EN55024
- Dimensions: 1U half width, 202 x 132 x 44mm
- Dimensions: Redundant PSU, 235 x 132 x 44mm
- Operating temperature: 0 to +50°C
- Storage temperature: -40 to +70°C
- Humidity: Up to 95% non-condensing
- AC PSU: 100 to 250V AC
- Redundant failover AC PSU model available
- DC PSU: -40 to -72V DC (12-24V DC optional)
- Maximum power consumption: 10 Watts
|Product||AC Mains||DC Power|
|NT1005 Redundant PSU||80-74-948T|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
If you require further information on the NT1005 please contact our sales team with your requirements.
|Commonly used SFP transceivers||Order Code||Description|
|10Gbps Multimode 550m 300nm||80-38-011|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 5.1dB
|10Gbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-38-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 6.3dB
|1Gbps Multimode 550m 850nm||80-31-011|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 7.5dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-31-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 12dB
|1Gbps Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-31-042|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 24dB
|100Mbps Multimode 2km 1300nm||80-30-021|| Multimode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 12dB
|100Mbps Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-30-031|| Singlemode interface |
fibre optic loss budget 17dB
Many other transceivers are available on request including long haul, 1550nm, CWDM, DWDM and bi-directional.
Whilst the NetTESTER product range uses industry standard user exchangeable SFP and SFP+ transceivers, it is recommended that these are purchased from Metrodata to guarantee their specification and compatibility with each other.
If you require another transceiver please contact our sales team with your requirements.
Networking The World