10/100/1000BaseT to 100BaseF/1000Base-X Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter
- Media conversion between 10/100/1000BaseT and 1000Base-X or 100BaseF
- SFP (LC) Module for 1000Base-SX, 1000Base-LX, 100BaseF (multimode/singlemode)
- Link Loss Forwarding
- Supports Jumbo Frames
- Zero Touch, Plug and Play Interface
- LED status indicators
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- Easy to install & maintain
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Managed Ethernet Media Converter FCM5000 variant
FC5000 Gigabit Ethernet switch extension over multimode fibre
This application shows a pair of Gigabit Ethernet LAN switches connected over a multimode fibre using a pair of FC5000 units. This multimode fibre could be within a building (e.g. between two PBXs at either end of a large hotel), or across a campus (e.g. between two departmental buildings of a University).
FC5000 Gigabit Ethernet switch extension over singlemode fibre
This application shows a pair of Gigabit Ethernet LAN switches connected over a singlemode fibre using a pair of FC5000 units. This singlemode fibre could be between buildings (e.g. across a business park), or across a city (e.g. over a rented fibre).
The FC5000 is a switching media converter operating in store and forward mode. The FC5000 supports auto-negotiation, and auto MDI/MDIX cross-over switching on the copper interface.
To ensure reliable operation, the FC5000 supports Link Loss Forwarding, whereby a fault on the fibre will automatically force a link down on the copper port to indicate to the attached device that there is a link problem.
The FC5000 supports the transmission of Jumbo frames.
The FC5000 is provided with as standard an SFP module with LC connector supporting either 1000Base-SX for 550 metres operation over multi-mode fibre, or 1000Base-LX for up to 10km over a single-mode fibre. However the FC5000 can be supplied without an SFP for more specialist applications. A wide variety of SFPs are available separately, please contact us for pricing and availability of SFP modules including: 100BaseF, Bi Directional, 1000Base-X and CWDM.
The FC5000 is available in a choice of 100-250 VAC or -48 VDC integrated power supplies.
The FC5000 is part of a range of fibre conversion products from Metrodata. The wider product range offers fibre conversion solutions ranging from 300 baud RS-232, via Nx64kbps rates, through 2Mbps and up to 155Mbps for electrical to fibre conversion; or 155Mbps, 622Mbps or Gigabit Ethernet for fibre mode or wavelength conversion.
SFP Fibre Interface
|Interface||Dual LC connectors|
|Speed||100BaseF / 1000Base-X|
SFP 1000Base SX
|TX Power||-9.5 to -3dBm|
|Max Rx input power||0dBm|
|Rx sensitivity||-17 to 0dBm|
|Optical loss budget||7.5dB (550m)|
SFP 1000Base LX
|TX Power||-9.5 to -3dBm|
|Max Rx input power||-3dBm|
|Rx sensitivity||-19 to -3dBm|
|Optical loss budget||9.5dB (10km)|
10/100/1000BaseT Electrical Interface
|Port||10/100/1000BaseT with auto-negotiation and Jumbo frame support|
|Interface||RJ45 (Auto Crossover MDI/MDIX)|
|Operating mode||Auto Negotiate, 10M, 100M, 1000M, Full Duplex, Half Duplex|
|LEDs||Link, Activity, Speed|
Compliance & Approvals
|IEC60825-1 Class 1 Laser Eye Safety|
|Temperature||0 - 50 deg C|
|0 - 95% RH, non condensing|
|Storage Temp||-40 to 100 deg C|
|Pressure||86 - 106 kPa|
Power Supply Options
|-48 VDC||-40 to -72V DC, 125 - 65 mA|
|AC Mains||100 - 250V AC, 50 - 60Hz, 60 - 25mA|
|Power Consumption||6 watts approx when operating|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet|
Dimensions W x D x H (mm)
|Rack mount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Tabletop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Product||AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|FC5000 (no SFP)||80-05-933||80-21-933|
|2 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rack mount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
|SFP Examples||Order Code||Description|
|1GE Multimode 550m 850nm||80-31-01||1000baseSX multimode interface Fibre optic loss budget 7.5dB|
|1GE Singlemode 10km 1300nm||80-31-031||1000baseLX singlemode interface Fibre optic loss budget 9.5dB|
|1GE Singlemode 40km 1300nm||80-31-033||1000baseXD singlemode interface Fibre optic loss budget 18dB|
|1GE Singlemode 80km 1550nm||80-31-042||1000baseZX singlemode interface Fibre optic loss budget 20dB|
Whilst the FC5000 product range uses industry standard user exchangeable SFPs, it is recommended that these are purchased from Metrodata to guarantee their specification and compatibility with each other.
If you require another SFP please contact our sales team with your requirements.
Ethernet Media Converters
- FC7X00: Fast Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100baseT to 100baseF, over multimode or singlemode cable, with both short-haul or long-haul applications being supported.
- FCM5000: Managed 1Gb Ethernet Media Converter (copper to fibre conversion) and Entry Level Ethernet Demarcation Device
- FC5000: Gigabit Ethernet copper to fibre conversion media converter, i.e. 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseSX or 10/100/1000baseT to 1000baseLX
- FC2X00: Fast Ethernet fibre mode media converter, i.e. 100baseF multimode to 100baseF singlemode, with both short-haul or long-haul singlemode applications being supported.
- FC-GigE: Gigabit Ethernet fibre mode conversion, i.e. 1000baseSX to 1000baseLX.
Networking The World Since 1989