The integrated 4-port LAN switch supports local switching, thereby removing the need for external switches or hubs in smaller LAN installations.
LAN Extension over Serial X.21 leased lines
The WC X.21 product has now been superceded by the more flexible MetroCONNECT: WC-Serial or the fully manageable MetroCONNECT WCM-Serial product which offers advanced functionality at a cost-effective price point. The WC X.21 is no longer available.
WAN-in-a-Can : the "plug and play" way to connect LANs together over the WAN
- Must be used in pairs
- Feature rich LAN extender over X.21 leased lines
- Quad port Ethernet switch on subscriber side, with wirespeed local switching
- 4 Auto-negotiating subscriber 10/100 BaseT ports, with auto MDI/MDIX switching
- Wire speed filtering of local packets
- Efficient HDLC encapsulation on WAN port
- Easy to install & maintain
- Integral auto-sensing power supply (100-250V AC or -40V DC versions)
- 12-24V DC power supply available on request
- Compact modem style unit, built to European standards
- Rack mounting kits for 2 or 18 units available
- Can also be used to offer asymmetric Ethernet services via EIA530 satellite modems
- Higher specification MetroCONNECT managed LAN extenders are also available
- WAN-in-a-CAN - overview of product family
- WC1000 - quad 10/100baseT switch with E1 uplink
- WC V.35 - quad 10/100baseT switch with V.35 uplink
- WC3445 - quad 10/100baseT switch with switchable E3 or DS3 uplink, superceded by WCM3100
This application shows two LANs connected together using an X.21 leased line, such as a BT Kilostream-N circuit. As a plug and play Ethernet switching device the WC X.21 is a straight forward and cost effective alternative to the use of routers in small and medium sized networks.
This application shows two LANs connected together using a fractional E1 Nx64kbps G.703 leased line, such as a BT Kilostream-N circuit with G.703 connectivity. In this case the WC X.21 is used in conjunction with a DC3000 to interface to the leased line. As plug and play Ethernet switching devices the WC X.21 is a straight forward and cost effective alternative to the use of routers in small and medium sized networks.
This application shows an Ethernet service delivered via an EIA530 satellite modem. In this application the WC X.21 supports local switching, wirespeed filtering and asymmetric data rates up to 20Mbps with an absolute minimum of overhead. This application requires another WC X.21 unit at the other end of the satellite link, and the use of a proprietary EIA530 to X.21 conversion cable.
Full wirespeed switching and filtering between the 10/100 BaseT LAN ports is supported so that only packets destined for the remote site are forwarded over the Nx64kbps leased line.
In most installations the WC X.21 requires no configuration, and is therefore truly "plug and play". The subscriber ports perform auto-negotiation and support both 10M and 100M operation in full duplex (FD) or half duplex (HD) modes. Manual selection of 100M FD operation enables connection to fixed router ports. Cabling issues are minimised through the use of automatic MDI/MDIX selection on these ports.
The highly efficient HDLC encapsulation of packets ensures that maximum throughput is achieved on the WAN link. Internal packet buffering enables each WC X.21 to smooth out bursty traffic without packet loss.
The serial port operates in DTE mode, and requires the attached DCE (e.g. Kilostream NTU) to supply timing.
The WC X.21 can also be operated in a dual-clock EIA530 mode to support asymmetric operation with an EIA530 satellite modem . An external cable can be used to convert the X.21 interface into EIA530 for connection to the satellite modem.
The WC X.21 supports a maximum packet size (MTU) of 1536 bytes which is sufficient to transport double VLAN tagged frames (Q-in-Q).
The WC X.21 units can easily be rackmounted in either a 1U two unit rackmount kit, in a 6U eighteen unit rackmount kit or are available in a 1U quad box (1U rackmountable unit containing 4 x WC X.21 units).
|No. of Ports||4|
|Presentation||10/100 Base TX, RJ45, Auto-MDI/MDI-X|
|LED Support||Link / Activity & Speed|
|Operating Mode||Auto-negotiate for 10/100, Full or Half Duplex|
|Port Filtering Rate||148810 packets/second|
|Port Switching Rate||148810 packets/second|
|Switch Mode||Any to any|
|MAC Address Table||4096 entires|
|Packet Size||64 bytes minimum|
|1536 bytes maximum (older versions support 1522 bytes maximum for auto negotiation mode and 1536 bytes for fixed 100M FD mode)|
WAN Port Specs
|Presentation||15 way Male D Type|
|Line Rate||20Mbps (max)|
|Max Packet Rate||38462 at 20Mbps|
|Type||Modem, 1U high without feet, IP30C|
Dimensions W x D x H mm
|Rackmount||202 x 132 x 44 (without feet)|
|Desktop||202 x 132 x 48 (with feet)|
|Temp||0 - 50 deg C|
|Humidity||95% RH, non-condensing|
|Pressure||86 - 106 KPA|
|AC Mains||100-250VAC, 50-60Hz, 60-24mA IEC Connector|
|-48VDC||-40 to -72VDC, 200-100mA|
|AC Mains: 100 - 250 VAC||DC Power: -48 VDC|
|2 Unit Rackmount Kit||80-05-256||80-05-256|
|18 Unit Rackmount Kit||80-05-250||80-05-255|
|Quad WC X.21||80-405-545||80-421-545|
Product variants with 12V to 24V DC operation are also available on request.
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Standalone Units
- WC-Serial: WC-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- WC1000: WC1000 Unmanaged Fast Ethernet over E1 / T1
- WCM1100: Gigabit Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1101: 10/100Mb Ethernet Extender to E1 or T1
- WCM1400: WCM1400 Ethernet Extender over 4x bonded E1 or T1
- WCM1800: WCM1800 Ethernet Converter over 8x E1 or T1
- WCM1820: WCM1820 Ethernet Converter to 16x E1 or T1
- WCM3100: WCM3100 Ethernet Converter to E3 or DS3
- WCM3200: WCM3200 Ethernet Extender over 2x E3 or DS3
- WCM3400: Ethernet Aggregator for 4x E3 or DS3
- WCM5100: WCM5100 Gigabit Ethernet Converter to STM1 or OC3
- WCM-Serial: WCM-Serial Ethernet Converter to X.21, V.35 or EIA-530 Serial
- LHM1000: LHM1000 Ethernet Converter to HSSI Serial
MetroCONNECT Ethernet Service Delivery Products - Chassis System
- MetroCONNECT Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery Platform
- FCC9000: Dual 10/100/1000baseT to 1000base-X Ethernet Media Converter Module
- WCC1400 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over 4-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC1800 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over 8-port Fractional E1/T1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC3200 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over 2-port Fractional E3/DS3 LAN Extension Module
- WCC5200 MetroCONNECT Ethernet over Dual STM-1 LAN Extension Module
- WCC-Serial MetroCONNECT Ethernet over Serial Module
- WC X.21: Ethernet over X.21
- WC V.35: Ethernet over V.35
- WC1000: Fast Ethernet over E1 G.703
- WC-Serial: Fast Ethernet to Serial 'Plug & Play' Extender
- WCM1000: Ethernet over E1 G.703
- WC3445: Ethernet over E3
- WC3445: Ethernet over DS3
- WC155: Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3
- LH1000: Ethernet over HSSI
- LV2000: Ethernet over LVDS
- MetroLAN1000: E1/T1/Ethernet over STM-1/OC-3 Fibre Multiplexer
- MetroLAN2000: Ethernet/E3/DS3/E1/T1 over STM-1/OC-3 Fibre Multiplexer
Networking The World Since 1989